At some point in life, everyone loses someone they love. This is one of the most difficult life events imaginable. You need to be able to cope in a way that’s healthy, even if it’s painful. In the direct aftermath, allow yourself to work through your emotions. As time goes by, strive to care for yourself. If necessary, seek support from a mental health professional.
Here are a few ways to go about it:
- Allow yourself to express your feelings. Don’t try to suppress it. Suppressing it can lead to anger, anxiety, and the likes. Cry when necessary. Understand that emotions are healthy and necessary when it comes to processing loss.
- Express your feelings to others. Sometimes stating feelings out loud can help to work through them. Seek out understanding friends and family members. Seek comfort and support.
- Find creative outlets. Use a creative method to express your feelings. Make a photo album commemorating your lost loved one. You can write a poem or a short essay or story about your relationship with the person.
- Prepare for reminders. Don’t let memorable days weigh you down.
- Care for yourself. Avoid numbing the pain. Take care of your physical, emotional and psychological needs. Sleep might be very difficult but if there is a prolonged difficulty, see a doctor for temporary medication to help regulate your sleep cycle.
- Maintain a schedule. A simple routine can help ground you and help deal with negative emotions.
Most of all, draw strength from God and let Him encourage you. Avoid the feeling of guilt.
I have come to learn over time that whatever God brings your way, He knows you are capable of handling it. Most of us often ask questions like ‘God, why is this happening to me’. It is because you are in the best position to handle it and bear it. Someone else might not be courageous and strong enough as you are.
Beyond what people will say to you during the loss of a loved one, let God be the one to encourage your heart and console you.
Have you ever lost a loved one? How did you handle it? Feel free to share in the comments below and don’t forget to subscribe to this blog to not miss a post.