After I left school, a few friends sent me messages on how they didn’t have enough time for God. I was also in the boat with them, because I found it difficult to manage work, church activities and my personal relationship with God. There were times when I was frustrated, wearied, not because things weren’t going on smoothly, but because I hungered for the presence of God.
You might feel thirsty and feel God has abandoned you because you have not been praying. Truth is, God is everywhere and you can pray to him anywhere. You need to create the habit of talking to God frequently and make prayer a lifestyle.
If you’ve been having issues with your devotions, this message is for you.
- What exactly do you do when you wake up in the morning? You pick up your phone to go through your social media notifications and reply unending conversations. When this happens, you complain about how the previous day’s work turned out, how tired you are and how you wish you can have holidays from school and/or work. You see, I have noticed that when I wake up early in the morning without praying to God, I tend to forget talking to him at the end of the day.
- Devotions/ Quiet time are not mere routines, it is our obligation as Christians to talk to God, that’s why we have the Holy Spirit who can teach us all things.
- You can be too busy, but not too busy for God.
What then should you do to create time?
- You should have a plan about how your day would go
- Discipline yourself to make God your first priority.
- Get rid of the idea of praying for hours at first instance, know that you are talking to a friend and depend on the Holy Spirit.
- If you don’t know what to pray about, tell God about your day, the previous day and proposed actions.
- After the day’s work, you feel tired, your mind is bothered with a lot of things. You are exhausted, and all you want is to fall asleep. Of course, you need to rest.
Here are few solutions to having a conversation with the supernatural being.
- Avoid praying when you’re feeling dizzy.
- You don’t necessarily have to you pray only when you’re ready to sleep. The Bible says “pray without ceasing” not pray at a specific time.
- You should talk to God always, so you can always pray to God.
- You can have your quiet time by 8pm if you stay up till 12.
- You can fix a time and be consistent with it daily. Discipline yourself to follow it and for the love you have for God, you will be willing to create time for him always.
“Building a relationship isn’t easy. It requires diligence, discipline, communication, patience, trust, and time. A relationship with God is no exception.” Dennis Fisher (IN HIS PRESENCE)
How do you create time for God when you’re too busy? I’d love to hear from you in the comments.