The health benefits of garlic are many: from its culinary purpose to its therapeutic benefits, but first, let me describe garlic.
Garlic is a small, pungent plant closely related to onions. It is grown for its distinctive taste and health benefits. Each segment of a garlic bulb is called a CLOVE. In a single bulb, there are about 10-20 cloves. According to biology, garlic belongs to the onions family (Allium family) and it contains sulfur compounds which are activated when a clove is chopped, chewed or crushed and allowed to sit at room temperature. Research shows that this step releases an enzyme that boosts the levels of garlic’s health-promoting compounds, which peaks at about ten minutes after crushing.
Therefore, the main use of garlic was for its health and medicinal properties.
To get the most benefit from garlic, it’s better to eat it raw. However, one important caution for its usage is: Don’t add too much to your diet for a start, acting otherwise can cause discomfort in various forms like stomach upset, bad breath and body odour. Incessant bloating can also be experienced when too much of garlic is consumed. Again, one may also get a stinging feeling on the skin if you handle significant amounts of fresh and dried garlic.
Let’s get back to the benefits of garlic. Garlic is known for the following health benefits:
1. It is used as a flavouring in cooking, i.e.culinary purpose.
2. Garlic protects the liver from some toxins, and more importantly, help the body flush out toxins more efficiently. Also, it helps to lower blood sugar level.
3. Garlic boosts Immunity: You want to support your healthy immune system? Then, incorporate some raw garlic into your meal.
4. Garlic improves Cardiovascular health: Heart diseases are associated with high cholesterol, high blood pressure, hardening of the blood vessels, increased platelet aggregation and so on. Research has it that garlic reduces blood pressure in hypertension patients, lowers cholesterol (a waxy, fat-like substance found in every cell of the body) and enhances good heart conditions.
5. Garlic is a nutrient powerhouse. The following vitamins and minerals are available in garlic:
Vitamin B6 and magnesium are both linked to boosting mood and improving brain health for cognitive function.
6. The organo-sulfur compound found in garlic has been identified as effective in destroying the cancerous cells in tumours. It can also prevent cancerous cells from growing and spreading in the body.
The benefits that can be derived from this herb cannnot be over-emphasized. Add it to your meal today and see the positive changes in your body system barely days after.
I hope you got something from this.